2017 OFFICIAL RULES & INSTRUCTIONS
- The 2017 SELEF Literary Competition is open to all
undergraduate college students associated with SELEF at select schools. All
entries must be received by Thursday, July 6, 2017.
- A $1,000 GRAND PRIZE will be awarded to that single entry
which shows the greatest level of overall excellence in one of the eight categories: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, photography, film, music/lyrics, stem writing and visual art.
The decision of the judges is final; the judges may also elect not to give the
award, or may split it into two $500 prizes. The prize money is paid directly
to the winner. This is not a scholarship; it is a direct cash award. Previous
winners of this prize are not eligible to win a second time, but they can enter
and win first prizes in any or all categories.
- First prize of $250 is offered in all categories. Based
on the number of second, third and fourth prizes awarded, cash grants may be
made of amounts smaller than $100, based on funds available and the number of
- There are eight categories: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, Photography, Film, Music/Lyrics, Visual Arts, and STEM. Each entry may only be considered for one category. This application is for Fiction, Poetry and Non-Fiction. Please choose your category below and attach your manuscripts as directed.
published manuscripts are not eligible for entry, except works
published in college or university publications. Original written material
submitted for course work is acceptable. Submit recent works to the
competition, rather than works submitted in previous years. Entrants can submit only five entries at a time on this form. You can submit more than once if you have additional entries for the same category or for different categories.
Entries should not be
signed and should not bear information that could disclose the identity of the
- Manuscripts will be considered if submitted from
undergraduate college students in good standing associated with SELEF at select
- There is no minimum number of submissions required for
an award to made in each category. However, regardless of the number of
submissions made, the judges reserve the right not to make an award in any
category if they deem that no submissions meet the standards to earn an award.
All decisions made by the judges are final and are kept confidential.